Tuesday, February 26, 2008


1348 by TelefunkenU47


flidght by ReggieNoble2


Entraguard by mypalmike


Marilyn Collage by McDorkESQ

Yesterday a link was posted to Fark for the Garfield minus Garfield archive, which I perused for a while and found to be really funny. Now, I am not a Garfield hater, as many seem to be, I enjoyed it as a youngster. It had its time, which has long since passed in my opinion, but I feel no need to assail those who still like the strip. It is completely innocuous. But removing Garfield from the comic reveals an entirely different dynamic for Jon and I enjoyed the diversion it presented at work.

I caught "There Will Be Blood" at the Cameo last night. I am appreciatively satisfied with the new ownership there. After the fear that they would be shutting down at the end of last year, the slew of excellent movies to start this year has been wonderful and that seems to be an ongoing trend with the lineup for the next month or so. Now, "There Will..." just picked up a couple Oscars this past weekend and it is clear why when you see the film. It is not often that a film over two and a half hours long zips by, but this is an intense film with several fantastic performances and a soundtrack that really heightened that on the edge feeling. I had a chance to meet Daniel Day Lewis at Sundance a few years ago when he was promoting "The Ballad of Jack and Rose" (another fine film). That of course made me scrutinize the films I had seen of him and to seek out others I had not yet seen. I have to say that his range is phenomenal, he rarely plays the same character again. His character in "There...", Daniel Plainview, is an greedy man driven and ultimately consumed by hatred, butting heads with a second greedy individual driven by a lust for power of a different kind. They both get what they want in a way, but at a terrible price. As a period piece it made me wonder at what motivated people were able to accomplish at the turn of the century and simultaneously thank God I did not live back then.

No comments: