Friday, October 24, 2008

Someone this week asked why I was being forced to face mortality so much in this lifetime and it made me think. The question came in response to my telling her about my friend/mentor/former boss Trevor, who will die very shortly of kidney failure brought on by the same blood bacteria that killed my dad. He was given the option of having his legs amputated and dialysis, while they seek a transplant and I understand his choice to decline. I do not have an explanation as to why there has been so much death in my life, or that it has been in such shocking forms in so many cases - three suicides, a murder, heart failure at 17, brain aneurysms, kidney failure, and on and on. I can only fall back on my complete faith in God and the promise we will not be tried more than we can handle. While there is intense pain and sadness at the loss that comes with the memories I have with each of the those people in my life, I do not believe this world is the end, there is more beyond this life. I believe that each of them is sleeping and justice/fairness/mercy will eventually be served. Those things allow me to live without fear of death. All of us have life experiences that make connections with others possible, sometimes we may be the only people that could reach a specific person because of a common bond. I trust I will gain a fuller understanding of the 'whys' of this life at the Judgement and I am satisfied in waiting for that to happen. Til then, I miss you TD, SB, LP, LB, DD, EM, I miss you alot. And I'm glad it is Sabbath.

No comments: