Monday, August 11, 2008

We're lost, but we are making good time. - Yogi Berra

In some corners of the interwebs, the phrase "Where is your God now?" has attained clichedom. I am unclear on this meme's origins, but aside from the mockery it usually is meant to heap upon its recipient, it makes me think for a minute seriously. This news item posted on Fark was the most recent place I ran into the phrase. I know people want to be as individual as they can be and I support that in most cases. Changing your name to "Almighty Supremebeing Allah" is dubious at best and begs for things just like this to occur. So, where is he? He is in jail for dealing crack, just like you would expect from a deity, right?

A relationship with one's God is a hard thing to define. As much as I know to my core that He is with me, prompting me when needed, protecting me from danger seen and unseen, leading me to circumstances where my skill sets can help others, etc, it is something I can not prove to anyone else. As much as I can see the supposed incongruity in worshiping something in many ways unknowable, I have experienced too much to ever be convinced that He does not exist. That is what faith is. So where is my God now? He is where He always has been, right here with me giving me the freedom to choose Him or not and helping me through the problems that those choices create. And He does that for every person on this planet.

No comments: