Sunday, November 2, 2008

I've been listening to D-Tek's Broken Disk album (sucker for Speak&Spell, DarkCity, sci fi samples in seriously groovy music) and Lifestyle's Build Your Own album (standout tracks are The Purist and Make My Day, on the whole nearly as good as Dejavoo's FutureShock album)while cleaning house today. I still love the psy sound even after close to 15 years. Sure it has evolved and gone through its iterations, but it still is the only music that consistently MAKES me move and resonates with my soul. And there is so much good stuff still coming out all the time.

Last night I was with George and Kendra at the Craneway Pavilion for Skills Fright party featuring JunkieXL, Paul Van Dyk, and Christopher Lawrence. It was the first time I've seen Junkie and he was good, not really electro but heavily influenced by it. PVD is PVD. Not much more you have to say about it. He did play an extended "For An Angel", a new version of Born Slippy by Underworld and a female vocalized cover of a Midnight Oil track that was cool and I doubt hardly anyone at this point even knows who Midnight Oil was. Excellent. I saw PVD the first time in 1996 in Switzerland and each time I've seen him it supports his reputation as a world class dj. BUT Christopher Lawrence stole the show last night. I saw Christopher first almost 11 years ago at one of the final Harmony events, a truly memorable event for me. He had a full set of dreads back then, now he is more clean cut. But the music was beautiful and driving, in a way that was missing from PVD's set. A few pictures of the festivities:




Here are pictures of the pumpkins I carved for the competition at work. Being a cheap SOB, I did these from a 1 inch square website image without stencils, since I was not going to pay for them. They turned out better than I expected and definitely looked better in the dark.



I mentioned last month that I picked up a couple vases from my friend Nikki at their open studios and that I would put up a picture, so here it finally is:

The central figurines are from my trip to South Africa and the koalas/bears are a few I made as an 11 year old.

No comments: